Police recruit class assists Hunger Task Force
On Saturday, March 19, MATC Police Recruit Academy Class #81 assisted in sorting 14,000 pounds of food for the Hunger Task Force. They sorted various products including cereal, personal hygiene items, canned vegetables, soups, peanut butter, and pasta, among other items. The sorted food items will be distributed at 80 qualified organizations in Milwaukee County that feed the hungry. These organizations include food banks, homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
Class #81 made the decision to volunteer with the Hunger Task Force because of the immense impact the organization has made by supplying basic needs in the local community. Since the class already had strong ties to varying local communities, they were enthusiastic about volunteering together to make a positive difference. All 22 members of class #81 had a hand in ensuring that the donated products would make it to those in need.
You may have noticed large bins at various grocery stores where you can donate food and hygiene items. It's these items that are sorted at the Hunger Task Force warehouse and then donated to those in need.
They never charge their recipients any membership or shipping fees.
According to Hunger task force, one out of every four residents in the city of Milwaukee is living in poverty. Information from the 2010 census reflects an increase in the number of those living in poverty and relying on food assistance programs.
The Hunger Task Force is a local non-profit organization founded in 1974. They rely on an average of 4,000 volunteers per year. In 2010, the Hunger Task Force distributed 8.5 million pounds of food.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?
- GlobalGiving and Athletic Tips Partner to Help Keep Young...
- Share Your Love This Valentine's Day
- From Bratty to Bearable, Global Nanny Jo Frost Tackles...
- Fibromyalgia: The Disease Whose Exact Cause Remains Unknown
- Beware Scourge Pricing When Using Apps Like Uber
- How Safe Is Your Child's Bedroom?
- Is Your Smile Unforgettable?
- Gallup Report Shows More Americans Favor Chiropractic Care
- Reading Program Is 'Changing Lives One Student at a Time'