West Side Story a must see
On Thursday, April 12, the musical West Side Story was put on at the Marcus Center Theatre. The musical was great and it featured several dance numbers and humorous songs. Some numbers had me feeling like I was at an opera.
The story line begins with Hispanics versus Whites, the Sharks versus the Jets. Some felt as if the Puerto Ricans were moving in on their territory, but the Puerto Ricans just wanted a better life in America.
So of course a rivalry sparks between both sides and a forbidden love does too. West Side Story turns out to be a classic Romeo and Juliet story. With all the 40's language being tossed around, I almost forgot that we were in the year 2012 and not the 1940s. The scenery had me believing I was smack dab in the middle of New York in a different time era with the school dance that was displayed and a diner where the Jets hung out.
Will Maria, sister of the head Shark and Tony, a member of the Jets love survive? Will it conquer all in the end? How many casualties will be made to keep them apart? You've got to see it to know!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?