Blood Drives for life
The Occupational Therapy Association (OTA) Students hosted a blood drive on Feb. 11 at the Downtown Campus.
A team from the American Red Cross comprised of highly skilled phlebotomists, and registered and licensed practical nurses, made it an easy process for students to donate their blood to help save lives.
After a lengthy registration process loaded with health-history questions and a "mini-physical," students lay on the donation tables. After a sterile iodine-scrub and venu-puncture, the blood is collected into two bags; one for testing and another to use for other patients in need.
Elizabeth Terrones, Clinical Laboratory Technology student, said, "I've always wanted to give blood, and I feel great that I did. I plan to do it again."
Claudia Jankowski, Liberal Arts and Science student explained, "I saw a post on MATC's Facebook page that there is a blood drive today and I felt like it was important to come donate blood, so I decided to come down and I was already here for a student leadership breakfast. It's important to come donate blood regardless of what is going on. It's important to me to come donate here because my family has needed transfusions in the past. It's full-circle to me."
Jason Dozark, supervising OTA student, stated, "I have donated blood before. It's a great thing to do. This is also a way for OTA students to earn money to put into accounts for future events."
Don't pass up a chance to donate blood. You never know if you may need it one day, or if your DNA holds the key to unlocking medical mysteries.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS