Blood Drives for life
The Occupational Therapy Association (OTA) Students hosted a blood drive on Feb. 11 at the Downtown Campus.
A team from the American Red Cross comprised of highly skilled phlebotomists, and registered and licensed practical nurses, made it an easy process for students to donate their blood to help save lives.
After a lengthy registration process loaded with health-history questions and a "mini-physical," students lay on the donation tables. After a sterile iodine-scrub and venu-puncture, the blood is collected into two bags; one for testing and another to use for other patients in need.
Elizabeth Terrones, Clinical Laboratory Technology student, said, "I've always wanted to give blood, and I feel great that I did. I plan to do it again."
Claudia Jankowski, Liberal Arts and Science student explained, "I saw a post on MATC's Facebook page that there is a blood drive today and I felt like it was important to come donate blood, so I decided to come down and I was already here for a student leadership breakfast. It's important to come donate blood regardless of what is going on. It's important to me to come donate here because my family has needed transfusions in the past. It's full-circle to me."
Jason Dozark, supervising OTA student, stated, "I have donated blood before. It's a great thing to do. This is also a way for OTA students to earn money to put into accounts for future events."
Don't pass up a chance to donate blood. You never know if you may need it one day, or if your DNA holds the key to unlocking medical mysteries.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses