Blood Drives for life
The Occupational Therapy Association (OTA) Students hosted a blood drive on Feb. 11 at the Downtown Campus.
A team from the American Red Cross comprised of highly skilled phlebotomists, and registered and licensed practical nurses, made it an easy process for students to donate their blood to help save lives.
After a lengthy registration process loaded with health-history questions and a "mini-physical," students lay on the donation tables. After a sterile iodine-scrub and venu-puncture, the blood is collected into two bags; one for testing and another to use for other patients in need.
Elizabeth Terrones, Clinical Laboratory Technology student, said, "I've always wanted to give blood, and I feel great that I did. I plan to do it again."
Claudia Jankowski, Liberal Arts and Science student explained, "I saw a post on MATC's Facebook page that there is a blood drive today and I felt like it was important to come donate blood, so I decided to come down and I was already here for a student leadership breakfast. It's important to come donate blood regardless of what is going on. It's important to me to come donate here because my family has needed transfusions in the past. It's full-circle to me."
Jason Dozark, supervising OTA student, stated, "I have donated blood before. It's a great thing to do. This is also a way for OTA students to earn money to put into accounts for future events."
Don't pass up a chance to donate blood. You never know if you may need it one day, or if your DNA holds the key to unlocking medical mysteries.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- carpooling, Europe?s No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015