Black History Month and you!
Black History Month recognizes the individuals who have made strides in social change through peaceful and unforgettable movements.
Aside from the independent holiday celebrations, Americans
celebrate February in its entirety as Black History Month.
When six students were asked, "What does Black History Month mean to you?" here is what they said.
Daniel Preston - Human Services
"It's cultural. It celebrates African-American culture like music, dance and food. It's all in there. And it's a big part of culture."
Charles Padmore - IT Networking
"It means a lot. It symbolizes the freedom and equality.
Being equal and being able to have equal opportunity is important for America to grow. I celebrate it by doing more research and reading to my daughter about our history, about figures like Rosa Parks."
Steven Briggs - Social Science
"Black History Month is a celebration of African-American accomplishments after years of discrimination."
Rachael Arnold - Cardiovascular Sonography
"Well, I feel like it should be every month. It's a big part of history and a concept that we all need to embrace."
Hannah Stukenburg - Liberal Arts
"It's about honoring the African-American people that made it possible for the African-American people to have opportunities today."
Antoinette Jackson - Liberal Arts
"Black History Month symbolizes the legacy of where I came from and what my ancestors fought for."
As America prospers through constant change and hard work, remembering the past and giving credit to the memorable figures like Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Malcolm X and Fredrick Douglas, should forever be in the mind-set of every American.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
- Celebra una fiesta de Posadas inolvidable para tu familia...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities