Black History Month and you!
Black History Month recognizes the individuals who have made strides in social change through peaceful and unforgettable movements.
Aside from the independent holiday celebrations, Americans
celebrate February in its entirety as Black History Month.
When six students were asked, "What does Black History Month mean to you?" here is what they said.
Daniel Preston - Human Services
"It's cultural. It celebrates African-American culture like music, dance and food. It's all in there. And it's a big part of culture."
Charles Padmore - IT Networking
"It means a lot. It symbolizes the freedom and equality.
Being equal and being able to have equal opportunity is important for America to grow. I celebrate it by doing more research and reading to my daughter about our history, about figures like Rosa Parks."
Steven Briggs - Social Science
"Black History Month is a celebration of African-American accomplishments after years of discrimination."
Rachael Arnold - Cardiovascular Sonography
"Well, I feel like it should be every month. It's a big part of history and a concept that we all need to embrace."
Hannah Stukenburg - Liberal Arts
"It's about honoring the African-American people that made it possible for the African-American people to have opportunities today."
Antoinette Jackson - Liberal Arts
"Black History Month symbolizes the legacy of where I came from and what my ancestors fought for."
As America prospers through constant change and hard work, remembering the past and giving credit to the memorable figures like Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Malcolm X and Fredrick Douglas, should forever be in the mind-set of every American.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World