Black History Month and you!
Black History Month recognizes the individuals who have made strides in social change through peaceful and unforgettable movements.
Aside from the independent holiday celebrations, Americans
celebrate February in its entirety as Black History Month.
When six students were asked, "What does Black History Month mean to you?" here is what they said.
Daniel Preston - Human Services
"It's cultural. It celebrates African-American culture like music, dance and food. It's all in there. And it's a big part of culture."
Charles Padmore - IT Networking
"It means a lot. It symbolizes the freedom and equality.
Being equal and being able to have equal opportunity is important for America to grow. I celebrate it by doing more research and reading to my daughter about our history, about figures like Rosa Parks."
Steven Briggs - Social Science
"Black History Month is a celebration of African-American accomplishments after years of discrimination."
Rachael Arnold - Cardiovascular Sonography
"Well, I feel like it should be every month. It's a big part of history and a concept that we all need to embrace."
Hannah Stukenburg - Liberal Arts
"It's about honoring the African-American people that made it possible for the African-American people to have opportunities today."
Antoinette Jackson - Liberal Arts
"Black History Month symbolizes the legacy of where I came from and what my ancestors fought for."
As America prospers through constant change and hard work, remembering the past and giving credit to the memorable figures like Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Malcolm X and Fredrick Douglas, should forever be in the mind-set of every American.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
- The Financial Implications of Heart Disease
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy