Star Wars: From Lucas to Abrams
"I sold it to protect it," George Lucas, creator and director of the "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" sagas told TechCrunch.com about selling the rights of Lucasfilms to Disney for $4.5 billion this past October.
Lucas feels he made the right choice by selling. Disney in turn gave J. J. Abrams, director and executive producer of the television shows "Lost" and "Fringe" and the new "Star Trek" movies, the power of "Star Wars: Episode 7" estimated to debut in 2015. "Star Wars" fans are up in arms knowing that Abrams is a self-proclaimed trekkie.
"Lucasfilms was bought by Disney," tweeted @DepressedDarth. "There is no way I'm wearing Mickey Mouse ears!"
Though as funny as it sounds, for hardcore "Star Wars" fans it was as if there was a crime against humanity or as if an unforgivable sin was committed. But in response to the angry cult following, Lucas told The Hollywood Reporter, "I'm completely confident that Disney will take good care of the franchise I've built."
"I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller," Lucas told Deadline.com, "He's an ideal choice to direct the new 'Star Wars' film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."
This should be a reassuring statement for fans, yet they still think Lucasfilms has gone to the dark side.
But truthfully, it seems that Abrams is going to treat the legacy as if it were his own baby. "To be a part of the next chapter of the 'Star Wars' saga and this remarkable group of people is an absolute honor," Abrams said to Deadline.com, "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than when I was a kid."
After looking at his history and professional portfolio, Star Wars fans may now be able to take a breath, wish for the best, and look to the stars as the force seems strong in J.J. Abrams and, may the force be with him, because, if he misses this, there are going to be a lot of unhappy comic-con geeks.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'