Star Wars: From Lucas to Abrams
"I sold it to protect it," George Lucas, creator and director of the "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" sagas told TechCrunch.com about selling the rights of Lucasfilms to Disney for $4.5 billion this past October.
Lucas feels he made the right choice by selling. Disney in turn gave J. J. Abrams, director and executive producer of the television shows "Lost" and "Fringe" and the new "Star Trek" movies, the power of "Star Wars: Episode 7" estimated to debut in 2015. "Star Wars" fans are up in arms knowing that Abrams is a self-proclaimed trekkie.
"Lucasfilms was bought by Disney," tweeted @DepressedDarth. "There is no way I'm wearing Mickey Mouse ears!"
Though as funny as it sounds, for hardcore "Star Wars" fans it was as if there was a crime against humanity or as if an unforgivable sin was committed. But in response to the angry cult following, Lucas told The Hollywood Reporter, "I'm completely confident that Disney will take good care of the franchise I've built."
"I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller," Lucas told Deadline.com, "He's an ideal choice to direct the new 'Star Wars' film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."
This should be a reassuring statement for fans, yet they still think Lucasfilms has gone to the dark side.
But truthfully, it seems that Abrams is going to treat the legacy as if it were his own baby. "To be a part of the next chapter of the 'Star Wars' saga and this remarkable group of people is an absolute honor," Abrams said to Deadline.com, "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than when I was a kid."
After looking at his history and professional portfolio, Star Wars fans may now be able to take a breath, wish for the best, and look to the stars as the force seems strong in J.J. Abrams and, may the force be with him, because, if he misses this, there are going to be a lot of unhappy comic-con geeks.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
- The Financial Implications of Heart Disease
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy