U-PASS approved for Summer Semester
This last summer session brought about the consolidation of classes to the Downtown Milwaukee Campus.This year, MATC students will be allowed to obtain a U-Pass to attend classes for the summer.
"The idea (to approve the U-Pass) really came up last year when the college decided to consolidate all the campuses," said Archie Graham, Director of Student Life.
Graham stated, "There was a preliminary discussion about accessing and getting students to the Downtown campus so they [an ad-hoc committee] talked about it in terms of if it would help students out in feeling comfortable since the other campuses were going to be non-operational and if the U-Pass would be a good tool available."
"A lot of students that come to our college come by bus and when you don't have the summer U-Pass, the students have to buy bus tickets," said George Baker, Student Government President for the Downtown Milwaukee Campus.
Baker continued, "Some of our students are low income, so going back and forth (the bus costs $2.25 per ride) is not fiscally possible."
Baker said, "Since we (the students) are paying tuition every fall and spring, and the U-Pass comes out of that, we (the Student Government) decided that we wanted a summer U-Pass so our summer students can basically ride the bus to school."
Details on the summer U-Pass are still being worked out, but Graham is aiming to have them available as soon as the end of May and having students use them until mid-August, although most classes will end at the end of July.
Baker believes that the summer U-Pass may overlap with the U-Pass that students are already using for the spring. Students taking at least three credits this summer will be eligible for the U-Pass, which can be picked up in S201 at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus.
Graham also advises that students come to the summer orientation session at the college, where representatives for the Milwaukee County Transit System will be present.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program