Apply for energy assistance after October
Dear Student Legal Clinic,I want to apply for Energy Assistance. When I get to SDC, there is a sign out that all the slots are filled for the day. I am worried that they will run out of money. What time do I have to get up to be in line?
During the month of October, people who are disconnected or in danger of being disconnected are at the Energy Assistance offices so they can get reconnected or prevent disconnection. You will get the same amount of financial aid from Energy Assistance whether you go to their offices in October or any other month. The best time to go is from November until February.
The Energy Assistance Program has raised its income limits. If you are a single person, you can make up to $1,953 per month and receive assistance. Because the income amounts have increased this year, the grant amounts to each person will be less.
Energy Assistance is not intended to pay the total amount of your heating costs. The amount of heating assistance varies according to household size, income level and household heating costs.
The Energy Assistance Program is funded through May 15. You can feel confident waiting until later during the heating season to apply for benefits. You should call the Energy Assistance Program Hotline at 414-906-2800 for more information. Do not expect a call back soon as they are busy with disconnections at this time.
You can also learn more about the Energy Assistance Program and the Keep Wisconsin Warm Fund at www.cr-sdc.org. Or call the Student Legal Clinic at 414-297-6630.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Firefighter Battles Flames and Cancer
- Winter Is Coming: Is Your Fuel Ready?
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move