Blood Drive at MATC open to all
MATC held its biannual blood drive on February 24, at its Downtown Campus. The Blood Center of Wisconsin partnered with the LSO (Latino Student Organization) to host the drive.
As Penelope Stewart Community Outreach Manager for Blood Center for Wisconsin mentioned, "It is a great volunteer opportunity to help save the life of someone in your community."
The bonus is it only takes about an hour. There is the process of registration, which you will need an ID card for. Then the health history portion which involves answering questions about your health. You then undergo a mini exam where they determine whether you are able to donate (temperature, blood pressure, heart rate and hemoglobin level.)
Next you donate. The actual blood donation takes about 10 minutes itself. You complete this relatively simple process with a snack and drink, compliments of Blood Center of Wisconsin and the LSO.
Each unit of blood (one pint) helps to save 3 patients. This means in MATC's 6 years of partnership with Blood Center of Wisconsin, they have helped to save over 900 lives.
To donate you should be over the age of 17 (16 with parental consent) to be in good health, and weigh at least 110 lb. You can donate every 8 weeks (or 56 days.) Blood Center of Wisconsin is the only provider of blood to 56 local hospitals. They need 800 patients six days a week to keep up with their demand. They have 12 centers and do at least 10 to 15 mobile drive daily to encourage donations, in the South Eastern Wisconsin area.
If you give blood you have may be added to the organ and tissue donor list. This is a simple procedure. It involves 4 mouth salvia swabs, and a contact information form. "It is a three in one way to help save lives," as Penelope said.
If you are interested in either donating or volunteer opportunities contact the Blood Center of Wisconsin at 1-877-BE-A-HERO.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent MATC Times News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MATC TIMES NEWS
RECENT MATC TIMES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
- Today's Convenience Stores are Healthier and Hipper Than...
- Gadgets to Make Your Commute More Comfortable
- How to Select the Perfect Ceiling Fan
- How to Make Dating Less Difficult Than It Has to Be
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS