Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Apply for energy assistance after October

Published: Thursday, October 29, 2009

Updated: Friday, November 2, 2012 17:11

Dear Student Legal Clinic,I want to apply for Energy Assistance. When I get to SDC, there is a sign out that all the slots are filled for the day. I am worried that they will run out of money. What time do I have to get up to be in line?

Signed Gerald

Dear Gerald,

During the month of October, people who are disconnected or in danger of being disconnected are at the Energy Assistance offices so they can get reconnected or prevent disconnection. You will get the same amount of financial aid from Energy Assistance whether you go to their offices in October or any other month. The best time to go is from November until February.

The Energy Assistance Program has raised its income limits. If you are a single person, you can make up to $1,953 per month and receive assistance. Because the income amounts have increased this year, the grant amounts to each person will be less.

Energy Assistance is not intended to pay the total amount of your heating costs. The amount of heating assistance varies according to household size, income level and household heating costs.

The Energy Assistance Program is funded through May 15. You can feel confident waiting until later during the heating season to apply for benefits. You should call the Energy Assistance Program Hotline at 414-906-2800 for more information. Do not expect a call back soon as they are busy with disconnections at this time.

You can also learn more about the Energy Assistance Program and the Keep Wisconsin Warm Fund at Or call the Student Legal Clinic at 414-297-6630.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In