Habitat now accepting applications
Published: Tuesday, May 1, 2012
Updated: Friday, November 2, 2012 17:11
LaQuanda Butler, a community engagement specialist with the Milwaukee Chapter of Habitat for Humanity (MHFH), gave a great presentation on the program’s application process at MATC’s Cooley auditorium on February 15. MHFH is now accepting applications.
MHFH is a non-profit housing ministry working in partnership with both families and individuals to build simple, decent and affordable housing for qualified applicants.
While the program has already helped more than 500 families move into either new or renovated homes, an additional 100 new homes will be built in the Milwaukee area in the next three years.
The program is currently focused in the Park West/Aman and Washington park neighborhoods, but it will likely provide homes in other areas in the future.
MHFH provides a great opportunity to own an affordable home, as well as to give back to your community. MHFH does not use your credit score and strives to serve those who would not qualify for a mortgage through a traditional lending institution. The program sells the home at no profit, serves as the mortgage holder, and provides a zero-interest mortgage to families who meet certain qualifications.
Mortgage payments are $475-600 per month, which includes the portion required for property insurance and real estate taxes. The principal portion of each payment is recycled back into the program to build homes for other low-income families.
MHFH also provides other programs aimed at helping homeowners, as well as providing people with a great opportunity to give back to their community in a positive way that brings needed value to Milwaukee neighborhoods in different parts of the city.
MHFH is currently accepting applications. Contact the Family Services Department to attend a program orientation. The program entails what is called “Sweat Equity,” which is a partnership model that enables families admitted to the Habitat homeownership program to complete the necessary requirements, during which they participate in the actual construction of their homes and the homes of their neighbors.
Qualifications for the Homeownership Program:
- Must be a family or individual in need of decent affordable housing.
- Fit into the income guidelines.
- Be employed at your current job at least one year, or have a steady income from disability or other sources.
- Have fairly decent credit history.
- Have no judgments and/or liens against you.
- Have no bankruptcy petition filed in the past two years.
- Have no member of the household in the sexual offenders’ database.
- Have no pending divorces.
- Be a first time homeowner.
- Be willing to partner with Habitat and work 200-500* sweat equity service hours.
- Interested applicants can apply in one of the following ways;
- Fax: Fax the application to the attention of Family Services Department at (414) 562-4449.
- In person: you MUST call (414) 562-6100 to schedule an appointment to SUBMIT your application. A staff person will follow up with you within a week of receiving the application.
Available Appointment Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9am-12:30pm
*** Sorry, no Walk-in appointments will be accepted.
Applications also can be mailed to the following address:
Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity (MHFH)
Family Services Department
3726 N. Booth Street
Milwaukee, WI 53212
For more detailed information, please call:
LaQuanda Butler, Community Engagement Specialist
(414) 562-6100, ext. 23
Work cell: (414) 460-1744
Info hotline: (414)255-3565